Parkland Geotechnical Consulting Ltd.(ParklandGEO) is a dynamic, mid-sized engineering consulting company in business to provide the highest quality engineering services to our customers. Established in 2000, we have grown to nine offices located across Alberta and Saskatchewan. We provide geotechnical engineering, environmental consulting and materials testing services to a widely diversified range of industries and market sectors, including upstream and downstream oil and gas, utilities companies, various levels of government, civil and infrastructure contractors, construction managers, and commercial and residential developers. ParklandGEO prides itself on providing intelligent and practical solutions to meet our clients’ objectives, with flexible and attentive customer service.
We are hiring a Red Deer based HSE Advisor to lead an energetic group of professionals in all aspects of safety and work closely together as a team to achieve excellence. Our focus on delivering safe, quality solutions that meet our clients’ needs has resulted in continued growth and demand. This position is an immediate opening at our Red Deer Corporate Head Office and supporting operations in Calgary, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Fort McMurray, Estevan SK, Grande Prairie, Peace River and Sherwood Park.
During construction season the HSE Advisor maintains a 40 hour work week with limited overtime for site visits, inspections or investigations if required. November thru to end of April weekly hours reduce to 30 – 32 hours per week, with Mondays off, for a three day weekend. ParklandGEO is closed between Christmas and New Year’s. Vacation and extended leave is encouraged during winter months because of the reduction in chargeable hours.
To be successful in this role, you should have the following or similar equivalents:
- A Canadian University degree or technical diploma in a related construction discipline.
- Minimum 5+ years of progressive experience in safety consulting in the construction industry.
- Current professional designation as NSCO with preference given to additional safety designations.
- Valid certification for Radiation Safety Officer and ability to transition into Corporate RSO.
- Ability to manage a variety of internal and external customers and identify opportunities for enhanced organizational safety.
- A strong background in prequalification procedures and ability to take the lead in the paperwork.
- An enthusiastic attitude, drive to succeed and continually improve, and a passion for consistently delivering outstanding work.
- A desire to be part of a dynamic team and a growth oriented company, with the ability to develop positive working relationships in a team environment.
- Excellent written, technical reporting, computer, organizational and communication skills.
- Enjoy working in both an office and outdoor field work settings with occasional overnight travel.
- A valid Alberta driver’s license; be insurable and able to provide a 10 year driver’s abstract.
- Hold current relevant safety tickets including Radiation TDG, First Aid & CPR, CSTS-09, TDG and WHMIS 2015.
As a key leader of the overall safety program you will have the opportunity to:
- Manage, coordinate and administer the ParklandGEO safety program.
- Conduct new hire, rehire and contractor orientations one on one or in a group; payroll administration paperwork; office tour; introductions; safety orientation.
- Responsible for the safety training coordination: schedule courses; administration of safety tickets; maintain the database.
- Schedule all substance use tests and forward inconclusive and positive tests to the Human Resources Manager for immediate follow-up.
- Familiar updating these prequalification accounts: ISNetWorld; Avetta; ComplyWorks; Ariba.
- Experienced in radiation safety and certified to be the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) in the Red Deer office and transition to be the Corporate Safety Officer within a year.
- Participate in Partners in Injury Reduction program, process WCB paperwork and monitor modified work program under the direction of the Human Resources Manager.
- Maintain the fire safety program and ensure buildings are up to code.
- Accountable to the management team in driving the safety program forward and monitoring and correcting trouble areas.
- Conduct work site inspections and investigations as needed and report outcomes and resolutions.
- Administer safety documentation and keep safety statistics up to date.
- Main point of contact for prequalification paperwork; ensure all areas are accurate and complete.
- Responsible preparing workers and management for the COR audits, both internal and external, with the goal of 100% compliance.
- Deliver a range of topics while leading regularly scheduled safety meetings at all locations.
- Remain up to date on Alberta OHS act including Bill 30, regulations and industry best practices.
- Maintain positive relationships with all levels of the organization and vendors.
- Lead,educate and monitor supervisors, field and office workers and subcontractors in safety.
- Maintain positive interactions to foster and grow relationships within the organization.
- Role model professional behaviour, demonstrating honesty and integrity.
- Liaise with corporate Health & Safety Committee and office Health & Safety Representatives.
At ParklandGEO people come first. We make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire only those who we believe will thrive in the consulting services industry over the long term. We've developed a unique corporate culture that sets us apart from the rest and provides:
- Challenging and interesting work with a diverse range of clients and services.
- Collaborative, team based approach.
- Ongoing career growth and development.
- A positive, flexible and supportive work atmosphere.
- Competitive salaries with options for overtime or performance bonus structures.
- An established company with a respected reputation and down-to-earth attitude.
How to Apply
The successful HSE candidate will join a dynamic, diverse and respected company. We are a team of highly motivated and hardworking professionals committed to delivering high quality safety services. Initiative, enthusiasm, commitment to technical excellence, and the desire to rise to the challenge are the important attributes of our team members.
If you are seeking a safety leadership opportunity in a great company within the consulting engineering industry, please submit your current resume in confidence online or by emailing your resume to Human Resources or firstname.lastname@example.org using MS Word or a PDF format listing education, related skill set, and current safety tickets. Please reference the job number and where you saw the job posting in your cover letter.
ParklandGEO has offices in Edmonton/Sherwood Park, Red Deer, Grande Prairie, Calgary, Peace River, Fort McMurray, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, and Estevan with potential future job openings.
No telephone inquiries please. ParklandGEO would like to thank you all for your interest in working with our company, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.